Recipe: Tasty Tomato Tostadas

 If you love Mexican food, you'll definitely like this recipe! My favorite part is when you taste the cheese with the roasted cherry tomatoes together and you get the perfect blend of flavors. 

I usually make dinner for my family every night and my Mom usually asks what I want to make. I told her I wanted to make this tostada recipe. I've made it a few other times and me and my Mom absolutely love it! This is one of my favorite meals of all time.

I got this Roasted Corn and Tomato Tostada recipe from the cookbook The Complete Cookbook for Young Chefs by America's Test Kitchen. 


Special tools or ingredients: queso fresco or feta and refried beans 

INGREDIENTS

21/2 cups cherry tomatoes 

1/2 cup frozen corn

1 tbs. plus 1 tsp. veggie oil, measured separately

1/2 tsp. chili powder (optional) I usually put a bit more when using

1/4 tsp. salt (I put more)

1/2 cup refried beans, or just 1 8-oz. can

4 small tostadas

1/2 cup queso fresco or feta cheese 

1/4 cup fresh cilantro 


TOOLS

Medium bowl

Rubber spatula

13-by-9-inch baking pan

Small bowl

mall spoon

Rimmed baking sheet

Oven mitts

Cooling rack

Large spoon

Spatula

Plates


STEPS

What are you waiting for? Let's start cookin'!

1. Like most recipes, pre-heat oven to 400. You can move the rack to the lower-middle position, but I skip that part.

2. In a medium bowl, use a rubber spatula to stir tomatoes, corn, 1 tbls. oil, and chili powder. until it's fully incorporated.

3. Spread the mixture into the baking dish and I like to drizzle some oil on top. Place in oven and bake until the tomatoes burst, which could take 20 to 25 minutes.

4. Now in a small bowl, place the refried beans inside. I like to heat the beans in the oven first and then put them in the bowl. Then you pour the 1 tsp. of oil in and mix until the beans are smooth. I put a little more oil in to make it smoother. Spread it on top of the tostadas.   

5. Then, use oven mitts (do NOT forget!) to remove the hot dish out of the oven and set it on a cooling rack or a hot pad.

6. Using a large spoon, spoon the tomatoes on top of the tostadas. Place the tostadas in the oven for five minutes.

7. Take the pan out and serve on plates with cilantro and cheese. Serve. 

Makes 4-6 tostadas 


Now you can enjoy some hot tostadas for dinner, lunch, or even breakfast! 

I hope this recipe worked out for you! Enjoy and happy cooking! 






Comments