Recipe: Classic Chocolate Cookies

 Chocolate chip cookies are one of the most classic desserts you can make. When they come out of the oven warm and chewy with the melted chips, you'll fall in love. 

 The first time I followed this recipe was when it was the night before my Mom's birthday and I hadn't made a dessert for her yet. I flipped through my cookbook and was frantically trying to find something easy and delicious. I stumbled upon this recipe and decided to make it. I baked them and stored them for the next day. In the morning, after I had made my Mom a birthday breakfast, I set a cookie out and put a candle on it. 

This recipe is easy and scrumptious and I guarantee you'll have most or all of the ingredients.`I'm excited to have this recipe for my very first blog post! 

I got this Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe from the cookbook The Complete Cookbook for Young Chefs, written by America's Test Kitchen. 


Special tools or ingredients: none

INGREDIENTS

1 cup plus 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour

1/4 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp. salt

1/2 cup packed light brown sugar

6 tbsp. unsalted butter melted and cooled

1/4  granulated sugar

1 large egg

1 tsp. vanilla extract

3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

2 tsp. cinnamon and nutmeg (These are my secret ingredients!)


TOOLS

Rimmed baking sheet

Parchment paper

2 bowls

Whisk

Rubber spatula

1-tbsp. measuring spoon

Oven mitts

Cooling rack

Spatula


STEPS

What are you waiting for? Let's start baking!

1. First thing you'll need to do is set the oven to 325. You can adjust the oven rack to the middle position, but I usually skip that part. Then you can line your baking sheet with some parchment paper. You might be able to use Crisco if you don't have parchment paper, but I've never had to use it.

2. Now, in a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt. Whisking is always one of my favorite things to do in baking.

3. Now, in a larger bowl, whisk the brown sugar, melted butter, and white sugar until it's as smooth as silk. Now add the egg and vanilla to the silk. I always add extra vanilla so it has more flavor. You can also add the cinnamon and nutmeg now, but you can do that later on in the recipe or you can add it to the flour mixture. 

Tip: Melted butter is what makes the cookie chewier.

4. Add the flour mixture to the silk and fold with your rubber spatula. now you can add the star of the recipe: Chocolate chips! 

Tip: If the dough is too sticky, you can stick it in the fridge for 15 or 30 minutes. Or you can do what I do and add some more flour.

5. You now roll the dough into 12 balls with your hands. leave an inch or two between the cookies. You might not get exactly twelve cookies because it depends on how big you make them.

6. Place the sheet in the oven and bake until they are the beautiful golden brown we all love. That could take 15 to 30 minutes.

7. Grab your oven mitts and take the sheet out. let them set for a minute or two (or ten!), and then you can set them on a cooling rack. 

Makes 12 servings



Now you can take them off and enjoy them for any occasion, or just for lounging on the couch watching Little House on the Prairie.

I hope this recipe worked out for you! Enjoy and happy baking! 

Comments

Post a Comment