Recipe: Cheer-up Chocolate Truffles

Anything with chocolate is wonderful and scrumptious, but these truffles are an easy and delicious chocolate recipe. I actually got the name from an episode from Just Add Magic: Mystery City, but theirs was "Cheer'em'up Mac and Cheese." 

One of the times I made this was when my Nana was visiting. I made the mixture and let it chill. Then I made them for us when we were playing a board game. She and my sisters liked it, and I think that anybody who has a sweet tooth will love it!

I got this Chocolate Truffle recipe from the American Girl Baking cookbook written by Nicole Hill Gerulat.


Special tools or ingredients: heavy cream

INGREDIENTS

1/4 cup heavy cream

4 tbsp. or 1/2 cup unsalted butter

8-oz. semisweet chocolate

1/4 tsp. vanilla extract

1/4 cup powdered sugar or unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted


TOOLS

Saucepan

Rubber Spatula

Shallow bowl

Plastic wrap

Melon baller or ice cream scoop

Plate

Sifter


STEPS

What are you waiting for? Let's start bakin'!

1. Unlike the other recipes I've posted, this one doesn't start with pre-heating the oven. Put a saucepan over medium heat and warm the cream until it bubbles slightly. Then add the butter and chopped chocolate. To chop the chocolate easily, I like to use a cheese grater, the kind they use at Olive Garden, except now you're the person who gets to shred it. "Tell me when..." Stir it with a rubber spatula until smooth, but don't let it get too hot.

2. Turn off the heat and let it cool for 15 minutes. Using the rubber spatula, scrape all of the mixture into a shallow bowl and place it inside the fridge for four hours or overnight. If you're more in a hurry, I like to put it in the freezer. 

3. Take the bowl out of the fridge and scoop a small amount of it with a melon baller or ice cream scoop onto a plate. 

4. Sift powdered sugar or cocoa or both into a bowl. Take the lil' scoops and roll them into balls with your hands. You can put some powdered sugar into your hands so the mixture won't stick. Roll them into the powder and place them on a serving plate. You can put them in the fridge if you're not serving them right away.

Makes about 25 truffles


Serve it when you play board games, during Christmas time, or simply to cure your sweet tooth!

I hope this recipe worked for you! Enjoy and happy baking! (Feel free to leave suggestions for recipes in the comments!)

Comments